OPA LGBT Subcommittee
The LGBT Subcommittee, which became a subcommittee of OPA’s Diversity Committee in 2006, provides a forum for the discussion of LGBT issues, plans and implements training on the treatment of LGBT clients, informs the OPA Board of Directors about current trends and issues and advocates for relevant legislation.
For psychologists and others interested in LGBT issues, we provide information about professional and lay literature and community resources. We also offer psychologists access to knowledgeable clinicians when problems or questions arise in practice. Our resources include:
- An LGBT listserv open to any OPA member, on request, for news and information about committee activities. If you’d like to join the listserv, contact the Director of Finance and Operations.
- LGBT workshops presented as one-day workshops and at the annual OPA Convention, Pride Conferences and Homestudies.
Committee meetings are held on a bimonthly basis on the fourth Wednesday of the month by teleconference. Meetings start at 8 a.m. and last about 50 minutes. All members of the LGBT listserv are welcome to participate in these phone conferences.
If you would like to become a formal member of the committee and participate on a regular basis, please contact the chair.
News and Projects
- As part of OPA’s 60th Anniversary celebration, Dr. Howard Fradkin prepared a history of the LGBT Task Force (which later became a subcommittee of the Diversity Committee), which was published in the OP Review.
- Dr. Clinton Anderson, APA’s Associate Executive Director of Public Interest and Director of the LGBT Concerns Office, led a panel at our 60th Anniversary Convention. State and national progress in LGBT care and advocacy was reviewed and future trends discussed.
- We’re in the process of updating this page. Suggestions for additions or corrections are welcome.
- We continue to use results of the survey of listserv members to plan new workshops and other training – a Homestudy module on Multiple Minority Status nears completion. More than 80 psychologists have completed our prior homestudy.
- An article for OPA publication on transgender assessment and care is in progress. We are also assembling a multidisciplinary resource list of knowledgeable professionals who are sensitive to the needs of this group of people.
- We continue to recruit members and are pleased that we’ve recently added four new graduate students to the committee.
- Ohio HB 176, prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity, passed the legislature. Work with the Advocacy Committee will be needed to encourage passage of the companion SB 305 since the Senate is more conservative.
OPA LGBT Resolutions
OPA LGBT Testimony
Websites of Interest
LGBT Subcommittee Members
Brittan Davis, Ph.D.
Priscilla Kingston, Ph.D.
Peg Mosher, Ph.D.