High School Students and Teachers
Teachers of psychology in high schools are such a vital part of the pipeline for bringing high quality students into this profession. OPA is committed to supporting the work of teachers.
OPA and its affiliated regional psychological associations actively support the science fair programs in behavioral health. OPA provides cash prizes to the top presenters at the Ohio Science Fair held in Columbus by the Ohio Academy of Science.
OPA can help high school teachers and students in a variety of ways:
• OPA’s Committee on Social Responsibility can provide speakers on a variety of topics for classes and other groups.
• OPA Media Guide lists psychologists who work in various areas and who are available for speeches and programs.
• The professional issues page has links to information on specific topics.
• The American Psychological Association and the APA Help Center are helpful resources.
• The American Psychological Association, through the Education Directorate, has a Pre-college Psychology Programs Officer and has organized Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (TOPSS). Many Ohio high school teachers participate in this program. For information, contact Emily Leary.
• The OPA Science Committee is also interested in building alliances with teachers of psychology in high schools.